Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Contemplate with Deacon Nate: Seminary- So Much More Than Classes!

When the Lord gave me a strong desire to become a priest, it was a bittersweet feeling. Bitter because I had this notion that seminary might be academically tedious and rigorous; sweet because I was eager to embark on the adventure of discerning the priesthood. But if I’d known what seminary was really like, I would have felt differently. The last five years at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit have been the best years of my life.

Shortly after entering seminary, I discovered that formation for the priesthood is SO much more than books, papers, and exams. Intellectual formation is only one of the four elements of formation; the other elements are Spiritual, Human, and Pastoral. Every year we are given goals for all elements. We set personal objectives to achieve those goals, and then evaluate our progress with the help of a mentor priest.

Intellectual formation has been challenging as I imagined it would be. Sometimes I’ve anxiously wondered how I’m going to finish papers in time and prepare adequately for exams. God has often reminded me, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5). I know that God is constantly speaking to me through my readings and through my teachers; the challenge is to remember this and not treat assignments as just another “hoop to jump through.” Some of my favorite classes: Ecumenism and Interreligious Dialogue, Synoptic Gospels, Pastoral Counseling, Bioethics, and Evangelization and Spirituality.

Concerning the element of Human formation, this means growth in the virtues. With the help of mentors and other seminarians and prayer, I have been getting to know what virtues I am weak in and need to work on and ask (beg!) God for help with. Since I’ve mastered the virtue of humility, I consider myself more advanced in virtue than most seminarians (kidding). Optional sports helps with virtue; I play soccer and last year we got 3rd place in a tournament against other seminaries! (We won’t mention that there were only four teams)

To sum up Spiritual formation, Pope Benedict says that the purpose of seminary is to help men fall in love with Jesus Christ. I can honestly say that my relationship with all three divine Persons and with Mary has been deepened at seminary, especially through meditation on Jesus’ life in the Gospels and visits to the tabernacle. We are required to meet with a spiritual director every other week, to attend daily Mass, and to pray the Divine Office. We are strongly encouraged to make a daily Holy Hour before the hidden Jesus in the tabernacle; God has taught me so much in this daily “classroom of silence.” On various retreats, including a 30 day silent retreat, I have discovered that the Father truly sees me as his “beloved son” despite my sins and faults. Relating my thoughts, feelings, and desires to God has allowed me to sense his love and hear him more often and throughout the day.

Finally, Pastoral formation has given us a variety of ministry experiences such as visiting suffering people in hospice care, hospitals, and nursing homes. Also, poor neighbors visit the seminary weekly and we offer them companionship, food vouchers, and most importantly prayer. I have truly sensed Jesus’ presence in some of these folks, who often have deep faith despite being poor and/or physically disabled! Pastoral formation includes a six week trip to Cuernavaca, Mexico, where we lived with Mexican families, took Spanish classes, and visited amazing places like the Guadalupe Shrine where Mary gave St. Juan Diego the miraculous portrait of herself. During a different summer, we traversed the Holy Land for three weeks and saw where Jesus turned water into wine, multiplied food, and walked on water! This trip enhanced our appreciation for Scripture, bolstered our faith, and prepared us to preach better. We concluded with a five day visit to the Eternal City, where we attended a Papal Audience, saw glorious churches, and had plenty of gelato (of course)!

Ultimately, all of this training is meant to form in us the six identities of a priest: Spiritual Father, Spiritual Physician, Chaste Spouse (of the Church), Head and Shepherd, Brother (to other priests), and most importantly, Beloved Son (of the Father). I thank you and the entire diocese for your spiritual and financial support on this amazing adventure called seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment